5S Lean Tool Explained
5S in Lean
5S is actually a lean tool that originated in Japan’s highly
organized manufacturing plants where it was seen that if each production stage
follows the 5S principle the production will be much faster and less prone to
stoppages and wastes.
The term “5S” comes from five Japanese words:
Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu and Shitsuke
In English also these get translated very nicely as 5S too 🙂 Now let’s briefly go over what each stage entails:
- Sort: Clearly sort out items by their order of need. Frequently needed to say rarely needed in 3-4 broad categories as required. This also achieves the following:
- Better visibility of tools
- Reduces unwanted items at the workplace.
- Increases useful work-area.
- Simplifies safety audits, inspections etc.
- Set in Order: Properly arrange accessibility of items, frequently needed items should be very easily accessible, less frequent ones in appropriate easy to reach area as well, and rarely or unneeded items placed away appropriately so that they don’t hinder work efficiency. This step also achieves the following:
- Increase efficiency
- Smoother workflow
- Increased safety at workplace
- Shine: Keep the work area, tools etc., clean and easy to work at. This ensures the following:
- Neat and clean, pleasing/appealing work place.
- Again, increased safety due to well-maintained tools and workplace.
- Inspection by unfamiliar personnel can be easier and any problems can be detected easily as well.
- Standardize: Maintain similar standards throughout the organization to achieve the first 3 steps in a homogeneous manner. This ensures the following:
- Homogeneity in processes, workflows and workspaces.
- Adherence to compliance requirements gets simplified.
- More responsible workforce.
- Sustain: Ensure that rigor and commitment to sustain the above mentioned practices, without being told as well. This also ensures the following:
- Commitment to work increases, as well as higher morale and sense of higher standards pride in the workforce.
- A culture of Lean and approach to smarter working practices is boosted.
The 5S Lean Tool in a nutshell
While i have covered the theory for 5S in this blog, however, at the ProSigma workshops you will find that you will learn this and more by actually doing. We believe most of the Learning needs to be by experience and interactivity and our Lean Focus is simply unparalleled in India, and we make it available via a range of Lean Six Sigma programs designed to cater to every level of professional.
However, before we conclude this blog, for those who are new to Lean Six Sigma and are interested in more such topics do visit the rest of ProSigma’s blog section, or try our 100% Free and 100% Online Lean Six Sigma White Belt Certification. Or better still join one of the following from our range of programs,
- Online Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt or the
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification in Delhi NCR (or Online).